Request Consult

CRA Audit: Foreign Tax Credits

There is a very high probability that you will be audited for any foreign tax credits claimed on your Canadian tax return. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires specific documentation to support the claim. 

How to Prepare for a CRA Audit After Filing a U.S. Tax Return

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not provide notice of assessments. To prepare for a potential CRA audit, it’s critical that you order your federal Record of Account transcript (not tax transcripts) once your U.S. returns have been processed.

Here are Your Next Steps:

  1. Check your U.S. refund status online at
  2. Order your federal Record of Account transcript online at You can also call the U.S. state you filed in and request your Record of Account.
  3. Forward your Record of Account to us so we can add it to your files.

Take the Stress Out of Your Taxes

We serve Canadians from coast to coast and can help you either in person or virtually.

Contact us to start the process and we’ll get back to you within two business days, unless it is tax season as we may take a bit longer.