Form W-7 Instructions & ITIN Application Canada
An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is an IRS tax processing number issued to Canadians who:
- Do not possess a U.S. social security number.
- Do not meet the eligibility requirements to obtain a social security number.
How to Get an ITIN Number in Canada: The ITIN Application
You have three ways of applying to the IRS for an ITIN:
1 By Mail or Private Delivery Services
Mail your IRS Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), your tax return, and original proof of identity and foreign status documents.
Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
Or deliver to:
Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation
Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35
Austin, TX 78741-0000
While it may sound like a simple process, we advise against using this option. Applications are sometimes rejected by the IRS for incomplete or inaccurate submissions, or invalid documents. This can cause long delays that could lead to filing your tax returns late and incurring late filing penalties and interest.
Additionally, if you apply by mail, it can take the IRS up to twelve weeks or possibly longer to return your documents.
2 In Person
You can submit your application in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. This may be a good option if you frequently visit the U.S. and there is a location near you. However, your application might still be rejected for incomplete or inaccurate submissions, or invalid documents.
You can search for a center here:
3 Through an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent
Certified Acceptance Agents, such as FIRPTA CANADA INC., have the authority from the IRS to authenticate your documents in person or virtually and submit them directly to the IRS.
This simplifies the process, and makes it more convenient for you. It also eliminates any delays that you could encounter when you mail in your documents.
How Can I Get an ITIN Number Online?
The IRS does not have an online option for submitting your ITIN application. You must submit your application using one of the three options above.
You can, however, complete the fillable IRS Form W-7, and save the file on your computer.
Form W-7 Instructions
Comprehensive instructions can be found on the IRS website: Instructions for Form W-7. The following is a brief overview of the instructions.
1 Type of Application
Is this an application for a new ITIN, or an application to renew an existing ITIN?
2 Reasons for Submitting Form W-7
Three of the more common reasons are:
- You are a dependent of a U.S. citizen.
- You are a spouse of a U.S. citizen.
- You are required to file a U.S. federal tax return for one of the following reasons:
- U.S. employment income
- U.S. trade or business
- U.S. real estate rental income
- U.S. royalties received from U.S. sources
- Lottery, gambling, or prize winnings from U.S. sources
- A U.S property sale under The Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA)
- Applying for a withholding tax exemption under FIRPTA
- The sale of any interests in U.S. real estate or U.S. real property
3 Required Documents for an ITIN Application
You must submit original or certified copies of documents that prove both your identity and your foreign status.
A valid passport is the only document that satisfies both requirements. Without one you are required to submit two other documents such as a U.S. Visa, a birth certificate, or a driver’s licence.
4 Basic Information
- Full name as it appears on your birth certificate
- Mailing address
- Date of birth
- Country of citizenship
- Canadian Social Insurance Number
- Type of identity documents submitted
- An expired ITIN, if you had one in the past
Making Your ITIN Application Easy
Applications are sometimes rejected by the IRS for incomplete or inaccurate submissions, or invalid documents. This can cause long delays that could lead to filing your tax returns late and incurring late filing penalties and interest.
Why take any chances? We will save you:
- The time it takes for the IRS to receive and process your application by mail or delivery service. There is also a risk of your documents being lost, whereas we are authorized to authenticate the documents in person or virtually.
- The inconvenience of making an in-person visit to an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.
How Much Does it Cost to Get an ITIN?
The IRS does not charge a fee for an ITIN application.
Our ITIN application and identity verification service is affordable: $325 plus GST/HST per applicant, plus overnight courier costs to deliver your application to the IRS.
As an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent, we’ve helped many Canadians obtain an ITIN in the most expedient manner possible.
Start Your ITIN Application Today
Contact us then sit back and relax. We’ll get back to you within two business days unless it is tax season as we may take a bit longer.
To make it as easy as possible for you, we can work with you in person or virtually.