Request Consult

IRS Certified Acceptance Agent in Canada

Please note: An ITIN is required solely for the purpose of filing a U.S. Federal Tax Return. If you are a Canadian applying for employment or seeking licensing in the U.S. and do not have any U.S. income, you do not qualify for an ITIN.

To obtain or renew an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), you are required to submit:

  • Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  • Original proof of identity and foreign status documents

You have three options for applying:

  1. By mail or private delivery service
  2. In person, at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
  3. Through an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent

See ITIN Application & Form W-7 Instructions for complete details.

Options 1. And 2. can take a considerable amount of time, and there’s the risk of your application being rejected if it isn’t done properly. Applications are sometimes rejected by the IRS for incomplete or inaccurate submissions, or invalid documents.

Also, if you apply by mail, it can take the IRS up to 12 weeks, or possibly longer, to return your documents.

What is an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent?

As defined by the IRS, “An acceptance agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number but who still need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to process a Form 1040 and other tax schedules. The acceptance agent facilitates the application process by reviewing the necessary documents and forwarding completed Forms W-7 to IRS.”

We received CAA accreditation by:

  • Meeting advanced education and training standards.
  • Passing the background checks and tax compliance checks conducted by the IRS.

Completing the formal Forensic Document Training to obtain the necessary skills to determine the authenticity of identification documents.

The Advantages of Using an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA)

Applying for an ITIN on your own can be a frustrating and time-consuming process. And if your application is rejected, which isn’t uncommon, you’ll have to start from scratch and re-apply. Sounds like fun, eh?

When you work with us, we’ll ensure your application is processed quickly by the IRS by:

  • Preparing and submitting Form W-7.
  • Authenticating your identity and foreign status documents, and submitting a Certificate of Accuracy.
  • Making sure the application is properly filed.

Note: Only Certified Acceptance Agents are authorized by the IRS to authenticate your original identity and foreign status documents. Your ITIN application will be rejected if these documents are certified by any other agents, such as a Commissioner of Oaths, a Notary Public, or a lawyer.

Related Services: FIRPTA Compliance & Tax Return Preparation

FIRPTA Compliance

If you’re applying for an ITIN in order to file your U.S. tax returns due to a sale of your U.S. property, you’re in luck.

We’ve helped many Canadians navigate the complex requirements of FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act) when selling their U.S. properties. See our guide for Canadians selling U.S. property for complete details of the process.

If this situation applies to you, we’ll look after the whole process:

  • Working with, and assisting, your title or escrow company.
  • Preparing and submitting all the compliance and withholding certificate forms required by FIRPTA.

Tax Return Preparation

Once we’ve submitted your ITIN application and/or assisted you with FIRPTA compliance on the sale of your U.S. property, it’s time for you to think about taxes. We know—yuck!

There are many U.S. tax providers you can choose, but we’re your most logical choice for filing your U.S. non-resident tax returns, including U.S. state tax returns if applicable. We’re not bragging, but who else understands all the details of your situation better than we do?


The FIRPTA Canada Advantage

There’s another reason to choose us. Asif, our managing partner, is an IRS Enrolled Agent (EA), admitted to practice before the IRS.

According to the IRS, “An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee. Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards.”

If required, we will also file your Canadian tax returns. The two specific areas of focus related to your U.S. situation are the Foreign Tax Credit and Principal Residence Exemption

Applying for Your ITIN Number Doesn’t Need to be a Pain

We’ve had numerous inquiries from Canadians asking us to help with their ITIN application because their applications have been rejected, sometimes more than once.

You don’t want to be in their shoes.

We’ve helped many Canadians successfully obtain an ITIN, and will do the same for you. And, as a CAA, we can authenticate your identity and foreign status documents either in person or virtually.

How Much Does it Cost to Get an ITIN?

The IRS does not charge a fee for an ITIN application.

Our ITIN application and identity verification service is affordable: $350 plus GST/HST per applicant, plus overnight courier costs to deliver your application to the IRS.

Take the Worries Out of ITIN

Our services can be provided in person or virtually through our two offices, located in Calgary and Toronto. Contact us to start the process!